We want to get better at working as allies (and accomplices) to marginalised and oppressed peoples in Australia, most importantly the original sovereign people of the many aboriginal nations in Australia.
- Beautiful Trouble – collated anti-racism resources – US
- Supporting Black Lives Matter from Home (ASEN) – Aus
- Ally Resource Guide – US
- Anti Racism resources for white people in Australia – Aus
Follow @IndigenousX on twitter to get a great list of others to learn from, and work from journalists like Amy McQuire.
Our article about being allies.
Check this excellent book and online resource by Clare Land.
We have a growing collection of videos on our youtube channel.
Here is a few good places to start:
- Fire First – if in doubt, start by listening – this 3CR show airs in Melbourne but you can listen online
- RISE Anti racism workshops
- Training for Change – diversity and anti oppression
- It’s hard to see racism when you are white – really excellent list of sites with links on privilege,oppression and how not to be a doofus white person
Awea: education for social justice – Being allies? Negotiating non-indigenous support of indigenous struggles in Australia
- Freedom fighter – Oppression 101
- White privilege – unpacking the invisible knapsack
- People of Colour Organise – on being an ally
- Advice for white indigenous activists – Robbie Thorpe (video)
- Advice for white indigenous activists – Gary Foley (video)
- Koori history website – Gary Foley
- Incite: Women of colour against violence
- Oxfam guide to free, prior and informed consent
- Organising for Power – anti oppression resources & exercises
We acknowledge that CounterAct operates on Aboriginal lands all over the continent and sovereignty has never been ceded.