Most legal situations activists face are covered under state legislation in Australia. However, there are a number of facilities and activities that are covered by federal legislation. This includes digital direct action, to legislation covering particular infrastructure and commonwealth land.
Here are some resources relating to activism that comes under federal legislation:
- An excellent resource from the good folks at Action Ready about risks activists may face if they are not citizens
- Information about getting police checks at a national level
- Some brief information about laws in relation to hacking
- Apply to the Environmental Defenders Office for free/low cost legal advice and resources on a wide range of topics
- You can also contact EDO if you have a concerning interaction with police – this will be dealt with confidentially